Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Yes to IKEA, no to DI? I don't know, but yes to Curtis Ravsten.

Utah Centralist points out that Draper is eager for a new IKEA, but not a new Deseret Industries. Fascinating decision. So they'd rather have Volvo station wagons and Subaru Outbacks cluttering up their roads than DI trucks driving around with humanitarian supplies. I suppose that large blue and yellow IKEA trucks are ok. It's just those DI trucks that are annoying.

Hopefully, DI and LDS Humanitarian Services will be able to roll their big trucks into Draper during the year when those annual mud slides on Traverse Mountain finally get bad enough to merit more than just channels 2/4/5/13 rolling their news trucks in to cover the story.

We need more people like Curtis Ravsten in our society. He is the director of DIs. When a reported breathlessly asked him (I am making this up) "Draper doesn't want you! What are you going to do about it?!" He replied, according to the Trib, "We just need to take a look at what the language [of the ordinance] is and see if we can be a service to this community," said Curtis Ravsten, director of DIs. "We hope to be able to work with the city." Wow. A reasoned answer in which the speaker was slow to anger and quick to see what good he could do. Fascinating, rare and wonderful.

2 comments:

Jeff Stenquist said...

I'm afraid your position regarding Draper City's recent vote is based on the abundant amount of misinformation being distributed by the media.

I invite you to add a post referring your readers to my blog where I've posted several items of clarification on this issue.

http://draperishome.blogspot.com

Regards,

Jeff Stenquist
Draper City Council

Jeff Stenquist said...

BTW, I completely agree with you regarding Curtis Ravsten. I've met with him and have found him to be reasonible. I too hope to continue working with him to find a suitible location in our community.

Jeff Stenquist
Draper City Council